Friday, July 15, 2016

A New Journey

June 20, 2016: the day I found out that cancer is not just something that happens to other people. It is something that has happened to me. I have been diagnosed with breast cancer that will require a mastectomy. This is scheduled for August 3.

I have to say, I have been amazed with the Lord’s provision over me in this time. One huge provision is that in April, I felt a marble-like mass in my monthly self-breast exam. This mass eventually led me to my ObGyn’s office where a mammogram and breast Ultrasound were ordered. These imaging studies revealed that the marble-like mass I felt was a benign cyst; however, there was a separate suspicious area on my mammogram. A stereotactic biopsy of that suspicious area led to my diagnosis of breast cancer. Without that benign cyst, I would still be walking around completely oblivious to what an MRI has now shown to be a 9x6x4cm area of non-palpable breast cancer. God is truly so good. All the time. 

In Matthew 11:28-30, Jesus says:

28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

Let me tell you, God has made me feel light, and my soul truly has found rest in this heavy-laden time. He is carrying this burden for me. While I certainly have had moments of sadness, tearful times, and moments of “freak-out,” overall I have felt so incredibly peaceful, stable, and I have felt such courage. This comes from the Lord, is definitely not my norm, and is another huge provision in my life.

Though Chad and I are normally fairly private in our praise of one another, I have to take a moment to give him a proper shout-out. He is gentle and tender, yet strong. He is sacrificial, humble, loving, thoughtful, loyal, patient and trustworthy. This has not been easy for him, yet he continues to put me first. He is consistently a million bazillion things that make me so grateful, and make him yet another of many provisions from the Lord on my life. 

For those of you who have been praying for us: thank you. God is truly at work through your prayers. If you are wondering what you can do for me – right now, prayer is the only thing I know for sure I need. Although, I know a time is coming soon when I will have more physically tangible needs, and there are a couple links along with prayer requests in the right sidebars that provide insight on what those needs might look like.

I am so sorry I wasn’t able to share with each of you before posting this. From here on out, I will be providing updates through this site, so this will be your go-to if you want to stay in the know about my journey moving through cancer. 


“Because your love is better than life, my lips will glorify you.” Psalm 63:3

11 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for you, sweet Alise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet Alise, I Just wanted to let you know that your work family is behind you 1000%. We are praying for you and your family. Anything in the world you might need, but mostly we will be loving you and cheering you on through your journey. My most sincere wish is that throughout this fight there is never one moment that you feel alone, because we are all right here with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying for you, sweet friend. You have the most joyful spirit about you. It was tangible from the moment we met. Cast every burden to Him, and let us carry it as well. Thank you so much for your transparency, I'm sure that isn't easy. Praying for Gods hand to be on you, wisdom for your medical staff and your heart to continue to be at peace. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  5. God will comfort you and be with you! I will keep you in my prayers. Love-Your Cousin, Julie Sams

    ReplyDelete
  6. You and Chad are in my prayers, daily.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Praying for you sweet friend!! Asking The Lord to continue to give you strength, peace and comfort! Know that you are loved and never alone!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Alise! I'm so sorry to hear of your illness. I'm sending positive thoughts to you for fast healing and peace.
    Peace,
    Bobbie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Alise, in my email to my siblings, to inform them of your illness, I said the following. "I must confess that when I consider the "c" word in connection with my precious "little" girl, I tremble -- with not a little fear for the unknown, with tremendous sadness that she has this burden to carry (albeit with a great support team), with the knowledge of the decisions she has been forced to make at this juncture in her young life, with the stress that this places on her marriage, and with the health and quality of life ramifications inherent in dealing with this (at least in the short term, if not down the road as well). But as you read her first blog entry you'll understand the tremendous pride I have in Alise, in her resilience, her faith, her honesty, her transparency, her love for her husband, and her "I've got this" determination to carry on with carrying on." Lise, you "stole" my heart that day in the hospital when you made your debut into this world, determined to wrap it (my heart, but perhaps the world as well) around your little finger! You "steel" it today with your inspiring faith-filled response to this most recent challenge. I love you. I'm praying for you. I stand by your friends and family as together we stand with you, however that needs to be fleshed out, in the days to come.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Alise, I haven't known you too long, but one thing I know about you is that you're a strong woman. You will kick this thing, and you have so many people who are going to be right along side you cheering you on. Prayers for you. Here if you need anything

    ReplyDelete